Pages

Tuesday, April 2, 2019

Disturbing Digital Coincidences :)

Here is a New Yorker column, called "Shouts and Murmurs" that is usually funny, or tongue in cheek, and in this case, it's related to how pervasive advertising is tied to our social media.

It starts...
"I am beginning to experience what I would call disturbing digital coincidences. Call me crazy, but on Wednesday I asked my Amazon Echo Dot, “Alexa, what time is it?” On Thursday, I got an e-mail from Wayfair suggesting that I might like to order a thirty-inch farmhouse-style wall clock that lends any room a touch of charm. Coincidence?"
Then...
"While chatting with a colleague via Skype, I cleared my throat and coughed twice. Hours later, my Facebook feed displayed an ad for Mucinex. On Sunday night, I watched a YouTube video of ice agents hassling immigrants. On Monday morning, the first song in my Spotify “Discover Weekly” playlist was “Cold as Ice” by Foreigner."
You get the idea.   Either pretty funny, or scary....   Read more... 

2 comments:

  1. As I was reading this article on the New Yorker website an advertisement blocked my view of the page it said: "The New Yorker - Fighting fake stories with real ones." I hope you can agree on the irony of this occurrence. I have some experience with this topic prior to reading this article. I was shocked and comforted to read this article.

    ReplyDelete